Dr Raju P Khubchandani,(MD Bombay University 1982) Director of the department wears two hats as a general paediatrician while also running the paediatric rheumatology service.
He is widely recognized as one of the pioneers in the field of paediatric rheumatology in India and the hospital runs a busy clinic seeing children with juvenile arthritis, lupus, dermatomyositis vasculitis and other muscle, bone and joint diseases. He maintains the Kawasaki Disease Registry for Mumbai city.
Having Convened and Chaired the National guidelines committee of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics for the management of child hood asthma he also has interest and expertise in managing children with respiratory diseases such as asthma and cystic fibrosis.
A popular speaker and widely travelled, he has won several awards, orations and served on many international consensus panels for rheumatologic diseases in children.
Dr Khubchandani’s major area of interest and specialization for the last 15 years has been pediatric rheumatology and he has cared for over two thousand children with musculoskeletal diseases. Dr Khubchandani maintains a keen interest in childhood asthma and respiratory diseases such as cystic fibrosis and such children are seen as a part of his general pediatric consultations.
Career highlights include
- MD Pediatrics (Bombay University) 1981
- Visiting Professor La Rabida Childrens Hospital Chicago
- Visiting Fellow Hospital for Sick Children Great Ormond Street London
- International Consensus Group for diagnostic criteria for vasculitis (Ankara Turkey 2008) and Macrophage Activation Syndrome (Genoa 2013)
- 65 indexed research papers and publications (see list)
- Co Author Pediatrics: Priorities in Office Practice- (co-authored with Dr YK Amdekar), Childhood Asthma: A Modern Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment and Dr RK Anands Guide to Child Care (2nd edition-in preparation)
- National Coordinator PRINTO (Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization)
- Convenor Kawasaki Disease Registry and Cystic Fibrosis Registry Mumbai IAP
- Recognized guide for DNB Pediatrics
- Past President Indian Academy of Pediatrics Respiratory Chapter and Rheumatology Chapter
Other milestones and interests:
- Several orations and awards at national and state level
- Invited speaker and teacher at international, national and state conferences and seminars.
- Has convened and pioneered several innovative teaching formats in print, as seminars and on the web.
- Medical writing for lay persons.
- Serves as advisor and managing committee member to a new children’s hospital project in Mumbai and some other social initiatives.
Contact Points for Consultation
Private clinic :
31 Kailas Darshan
Above IDBI bank
Nana Chowk, Kennedy Bridge
Mumbai 400 007
Tele 91 22 23865522
Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre :
G Deshmukh Marg, Mumbai 400026. Tele 91 (22)66573333
- General Pediatric outpatient consultations:
Tuesday 10 am - 12 noon and Friday 9 am - 11 am
- Pediatric Rheumatology consultations:
Thursdays 2 pm - 5 pm,
Fridays 11 am - 1 pm and
Saturdays 10 am - 1 pm
Breach Candy Hospital and Research Center :
Bhulabhai Desai Marg, Mumbai 400026
- General Pediatric outpatient consultations:
Wednesdays 8 am - 9 am
Saturdays 8 am - 10 am
House calls / outstation visits / Paid telephonic consults may be requested.
For appointments or any enquiries
- Email: khubchandani_office @yahoo.co.in
- In the subject line, please mention the patient’s name and age.
- Please mention briefly the nature of the problem, the source of referral and your city and contact number.
- Lastly mention the reason for writing eg appointment, address directions etc.
- Please allow upto 48 hours before sending reminders.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR OUTSTATION PATIENTS AND PATIENTS WITH A LONG MEDICAL HISTORY
- Outstation patients are advised to preferably seek appointments for the early part of the week and to plan their stay in Mumbai for at least three days.
- Patients with a long medical history are advised to send aphotocopied files of all paper medical records and CD copies of images / X rays ( no originals please) with papers arranged indate-wise order by courier or regular mail to the private clinic address at least one week prior to their scheduled consultation. Copies may not be returned
a SINGLE word document with a medical summary, including medicines taken and results of reports, by email. Multiple attachments to an email with various reports are discouraged.
- Depending upon the nature of the case and the time taken to go through the records, an additional fee may be requested and recovered by bank draft or at the time of consultation.